The history of Laranjeiras is geographically linked to the Carioca river. In the 17th century, the clear waters attracted wealthy owners to the valley formerly called Carioca - the name Laranjeiras (orange trees) appeared in the 18th century, when the region formed by the river’s basin was fragmented in distinct areas: Catete, Flamengo and Gloria. The land that went until Cosme Velho had a small number of farms, for agricultural and residential use. The fame of being an aristocratic neighborhood is due in part to the presence of Princess Elizabeth in the palace located at Guanabara St., currently Pinheiro Machado St. in the second half of the 19th century.
In 1880, the implementation of the textile company Companhia de Fiações e Tecidos Aliança at General Glicério St. with a working village right next door granted an industrial aspect to Laranjeiras. There was no traffic in the area until the opening of the first tunnel in the city, in 1887, at the top of Alice Street, and later with the completion of the cut of Novo Mundo hill, connecting Pinheiro Machado and Farani streets. Works such as the underground channeling of the Carioca river, the opening of Santa Barbara and Rebouças tunnels and major real estate developments in the 20th century, changed completely the neighborhood of ranches and mansions. The new millennium brought back the chorinho to the gazebo in the square, an old touch that will escort Rolé Carioca through Laranjeiras.