This edition of Rolé Carioca will cover one of the oldest districts of the city and the iconic Flamengo Park, which we call Aterro. The history of the region dates back to the time of the discovery of Brazil and carries, until today, the Rio Carioca brands. Already in the 1503 expedition of the Portuguese navigator Gonçalo Coelho, the river that empties where the buildings of Flamengo beach are, began to be used to supply the ships that stopped in the Bay of Guanabara. At that point, next to the mouth, a stone house was built, considered the first building of the genre in the 'new world'.
At that time, the drinking water course was known as Aguada dos Marinheiros. Who influenced the change of name were the Tamoios Indians, who denominated the construction of the whites of Cari Oca, that is to say, "House of White". The name passed to the river on the side and, three centuries later, became the gentile used to denominate the inhabitants of the Municipality of the Court. Now channeled, the Rio Carioca still empties into the Bay next to the Morro da Viúva, after traveling submerged in a dense urban area.
With the growth of the city, an open road in Flamengo served as a way to drain sugar production from the Engenho D'El Rei, in Lagoa, to the Port of Rio. At the beginning of the 20th century, the management of the mayor Pereira Passos ( 1902-1906) was decisive for the modernization of the neighborhood, with the construction of Beira-Mar Avenue and a new concept of housing in modern buildings and palaces. On the edge of Flamengo, the practice of sports on the beach and sea bath began to become popular. The 1950s and 1960s brought a new configuration to the area, with the monumental work of Aterro do Flamengo. This grand green area, which included the Museum of Modern Art and Marina da Glória, remains used for outdoor entertaining and leisure.
Image: Bernardes, Nilo; Somlo, Tomas/Acervo IBGE