The 'Sete Artes' tour happens around the school that inaugurated the artistic teaching in Brazil, 200 years ago. The National Museum of Fine Arts was officially created in 1937 by Getúlio Vargas and combined the occupation of the building with the National School of Fine Arts until 1976, when the ENBA was relocated to the Fundão. But its history began with the French Artistic Mission of 1816. From it, the Royal School of Sciences, Arts and Crafts was created, whose name would become the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts and which formed the first generation of Brazilian art.
The artistic formation in Brazil was organized and developed marked by Eurocentrism. The first building of the school was built to house an art gallery with works brought from Europe by Joaquim Lebreton, head of the French Mission, at the invitation of King João VI. This introduction and affirmation of European identity has been present in the institution over time. Many of the Brazilian painters were supported by scholarships and support from Brazilian political powers, such as Pedro Américo himself, widely represented in the art galleries of the XIX Century of the MNBA.
Proclaimed the Republic in 1889, the Imperial Academy became the National School of Fine Arts, whose new headquarters is built at the turn of the twentieth century - a historical moment in which the urban space in Rio undergoes profound modifications, with the demolition of the colonial past . The building of eclectic architecture of 1908, designed by the architect Adolfo Morales de los Rios, was inspired by the same concept of the "Palace Museum" of the Louvre Museum. It is an icon of the design of the Brazilian capital, next to the buildings of the Municipal Theater and the National Library, as we will see in this Rolé that contemplates the seven arts: painting, performing arts, literature, music, sculpture and architecture.
Image: BN Digital